WELCOME TO THE MILLIKAN
MIDDLE SCHOOL MAGNETS
IN ADDITION TO OUR RENOWNED
PERFORMING ARTS MAGNET
WE ARE PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THE ARRIVAL OF
(SOCIAL AND GENDER EQUITY)
OUR EXCITING NEW SOCIAL JUSTICE MAGNET!
APPLY NOW! THE ECHOICES APPLICATION WINDOW IS OPEN BETWEEN OCTOBER 1 AND NOVEMBER 9, 2018!! DON'T DELAY!!
The window to apply to the Performing Arts and SAGE Magnets is open now! The window will open between October 1st, 2018 and November 9th, 2018. Go to echoices.lausd.net to find out about the online application process for both Magnets. Click here: http://echoices.lausd.net/
PERFORMING ARTS MAGNET VS. PERFORMING ARTS ACADEMY:
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE???
HOW IT ALL BEGAN
The Performing Arts Magnet at Millikan Middle School is the heart and soul of the Performing Arts at Millikan. This Magnet proved to be so popular, with a demand for admittance so high, that the Performing Arts Academy was created to handle the overflow, and to provide even more students the opportunity to access the Performing Arts program offered by the Performing Arts Magnet.
WHAT TO DO NOW??
If you want to access the Performing Arts Program offered by the Magnet, the best way to do that is to *drumroll please* apply for the Performing Arts Magnet! This is done by going to echoices.lausd.net, filling out the application, and choosing Millikan Performing Arts Magnet. The window for the application is open between October 1, 2018 and November 9, 2018.
Get thee to echoices!
If Plan A doesn’t work, there’s still hope! You can still access the Performing Arts at Millikan via two different options.
- Find out if Millikan is your neighborhood school. How do I that, you might ask? By clicking on school finder, typing in your home address, and discovering which school is your neighborhood school. If Millikan is your neighborhood school, you would then sign up for a Performing Arts Academy audition time slot, prepare your monologue and song, get ready to learn some dance moves in a mini dance class, and then wait and see if you got in. Break a leg!
- If Millikan is NOT your neighborhood school - again check on school finder to find out - you can still register for the Charter Lottery. The Charter Lottery is a random selection process, literally pulling names out of a barrell, and then placing those names on a list in order of their selection. Here’s the tricky part. The auditions for the Performing Arts Academy take place BEFORE the Charter Lottery drawing. HOWEVER your audition for the Performing Arts Academy is NOT a way of getting into Millikan. This is where some people get confused. The only ways to get in to the school are:
- Magnet Application
- Neighborhood School
- Charter Lottery Drawing
If you get in through the Magnet, you’re all taken care of and you’re on your way to the full Performing Arts program. Congrats!
If you get into the school via Neighborhood School or Charter Lottery THEN we determine whether your audition qualifies you for the Performing Arts Academy and *voila!* you too are now on your way to enjoying the full range of Performing Arts programs offered by the Magnet. Congrats to you too!
BUT THE MAGNET KIDS DON’T HAVE TO AUDITION TO GET IN AND THE ACADEMY KIDS DO. DOES THAT MEAN THE ACADEMY KIDS ARE BETTER??
HUH? No! This audition process is just another way of accessing the Performing Arts programs offered at Millikan. The REAL auditions take place at the end of 6th grade, when EVERYONE - Magnet and Academy kids alike - ALL audition for the various upper grade electives. This is the time when they audition for the Musical Theater Program, Drama Production, Advanced Dance and an array of advanced Instrumental programs.
WHAT ELSE IS THE SAME?? WHAT ELSE IS DIFFERENT??
1. Both Magnet and Academy students experience integrated, thematic instruction based on the theme of Performing Arts.
2. Magnet students are offered transportation if they are five miles or further away from Millikan. /// Academy students are not offered transportation.
3. Magnet students have one semester of Modern Dance and one semester of Cultural Dance. /// Academy students in 6th grade have 1 yearlong course in either Modern or Cultural Dance.
5. Magnet classes have a class size limit of 37. /// Academy classes have no class size limit, but typically average 38-40.
6. Magnet students receive 12 magnet matriculation points at culmination. /// Academy students do not receive magnet matriculation points at culmination.
Don’t be! Come see me, Mr. Porter, Magnet Coordinator, in the Magnet Office, or send me your questions via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call the school 818-528-1600.
See you at Millikan!!
The LAUSD Magnet Program is a court-ordered, voluntary integration opportunity available to all students in grades K-12 who live within the boundaries of LAUSD. It offers specialized courses or curricula designed to attract students based on their interests while stressing academic excellence, cooperative/experiential learning, interdisciplinary coursework, and peer collaboration.
The purposes of LAUSD'S magnet program are to:
- provide an integrated educational and personal experience which prepares students to function in a diverse society
- eliminate, reduce or prevent long-standing patterns of racial isolation.
Magnet openings are determined by the need to maintain a racially balanced enrollment and are filled by available space. Only gifted, high ability, highly gifted Magnets require specific eligibility criteria. No other screening, including grades, placement tests or auditions may be used as criteria for admitting or eliminating students.
The Performing Arts Magnet at Millikan is co-located on the regular school campus with access to activities and experiences being shared by the whole school, to include 3 theme based academies. In particular, the Magnet shares many of the same performing arts teachers with the Performing Arts Academy, but has its own teachers for traditional content in math, English, history and science. Performing Arts Magnet students who qualify have access to honors classes.
Explore the links to the right to learn more about the magnet program.
Please visit our self-serve registration appointment website. to make a registration appointment. You can choose a time and date that works for you, download and print many of the documents necessary to complete registration and even cancel or change your appointment time.
Please note that any and all questions regarding registration should be addressed to the Attendance Office as they are the most knowledgeable about the registration process!
Performing Arts Magnet
It is expected that Parent Selected/Waiting List Letters will be sent to parents by the Office of Student Integration beginning 3/19/18. Online applicants will have an online accept/decline option through their parent account (echoices.lausd.net) beginning 3/19/18. The last day to accept or decline a magnet seat offered is 4/6/18. Please see the guide at the right for assistance accepting or declining your magnet seat.
Charter Lottery/Performing Arts Academy/Math Academy/Cinematic Arts Academy @ Millikan (CAAM)
Millikan will be emailing all Academy and Charter Lottery applicants the status of their application beginning 3/8/18. The last day to accept or decline the charter lottery seat/academy placement offered is 4/6/18.