Performing Arts Magnet
Welcome to the Millikan Middle
School Performing Arts Magnet!
PERFORMING ARTS MAGNET VS. PERFORMING ARTS ACADEMY:
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE???
HOW IT ALL BEGAN
The Performing Arts Magnet at Millikan Middle School is the heart and soul of the Performing Arts at Millikan. This Magnet proved to be so popular, with a demand for admittance so high, that the Performing Arts Academy was created to handle the overflow, and to provide even more students the opportunity to access the Performing Arts program offered by the Performing Arts Magnet.
WHAT TO DO NOW??
If you want to access the Performing Arts Program offered by the Magnet, the best way to do that is to *drumroll please* apply for the Performing Arts Magnet! This is done by going to echoices.lausd.net, filling out the application, and choosing Millikan Performing Arts Magnet. The window for the application is open between October 1, 2018 and November 9, 2018.
Get thee to echoices!
If Plan A doesn’t work, there’s still hope! You can still access the Performing Arts at Millikan via two different options.
- Find out if Millikan is your neighborhood school. How do I that, you might ask? By clicking on school finder, typing in your home address, and discovering which school is your neighborhood school. If Millikan is your neighborhood school, you would then sign up for a Performing Arts Academy audition time slot, prepare your monologue and song, get ready to learn some dance moves in a mini dance class, and then wait and see if you got in. Break a leg!
- If Millikan is NOT your neighborhood school - again check on school finder to find out - you can still register for the Charter Lottery. The Charter Lottery is a random selection process, literally pulling names out of a barrell, and then placing those names on a list in order of their selection. Here’s the tricky part. The auditions for the Performing Arts Academy take place BEFORE the Charter Lottery drawing. HOWEVER your audition for the Performing Arts Academy is NOT a way of getting into Millikan. This is where some people get confused. The only ways to get in to the school are:
- Magnet Application
- Neighborhood School
- Charter Lottery Drawing
If you get in through the Magnet, you’re all taken care of and you’re on your way to the full Performing Arts program. Congrats!
If you get into the school via Neighborhood School or Charter Lottery THEN we determine whether your audition qualifies you for the Performing Arts Academy and *voila!* you too are now on your way to enjoying the full range of Performing Arts programs offered by the Magnet. Congrats to you too!
BUT THE MAGNET KIDS DON’T HAVE TO AUDITION TO GET IN AND THE ACADEMY KIDS DO. DOES THAT MEAN THE ACADEMY KIDS ARE BETTER??
HUH? No! This audition process is just another way of accessing the Performing Arts programs offered at Millikan. The REAL auditions take place at the end of 6th grade, when EVERYONE - Magnet and Academy kids alike - ALL audition for the various upper grade electives. This is the time when they audition for the Musical Theater Program, Drama Production, Advanced Dance and an array of advanced Instrumental programs.
WHAT ELSE IS THE SAME?? WHAT ELSE IS DIFFERENT??
1. Both Magnet and Academy students experience integrated, thematic instruction based on the theme of Performing Arts.
2. Magnet students are offered transportation if they are five miles or further away from Millikan. /// Academy students are not offered transportation.
3. Magnet students have one semester of Modern Dance and one semester of Cultural Dance. /// Academy students in 6th grade have 1 yearlong course in either Modern or Cultural Dance.
5. Magnet classes have a class size limit of 37. /// Academy classes have no class size limit, but typically average 38-40.
6. Magnet students receive 12 magnet matriculation points at culmination. /// Academy students do not receive magnet matriculation points at culmination.
Don’t be! Come see me, Mr. Porter, Magnet Coordinator, in the Magnet Office, or send me your questions via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call the school 818-528-1600.
See you at Millikan!!
The LAUSD Magnet Program is a court-ordered, voluntary integration opportunity available to all students in grades K-12 who live within the boundaries of LAUSD. It offers specialized courses or curricula designed to attract students based on their interests while stressing academic excellence, cooperative/experiential learning, interdisciplinary coursework, and peer collaboration.