School Site Council
Each LAUSD school must have an elected School Site Council (SSC) to represent parents, students, community members, and school staff in the school governance process. The SSC has a number of important responsibilities, including:
- Reviewing and analyzing student achievement data
- Gathering community input
- Helping develop the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) and the school site budget
- Monitoring the implementation of the plan and budget
- Parent members must be elected by parents of pupils participating in a compensatory education program.
- Students and parents together make up half of the committee.
- The committee shall include a broad representation of the parent population served by the school including socio-economic and ethnic groups represented in the school attendance area.
- Teachers, the principal and other school staff make up the other half of the committee.
SSC Members’ Responsibilities
- Attend all monthly meetings and vote on necessary action items.
- Follow the Operating Norms and Code of Conduct.
- Participate in trainings to carry out their duties effectively.
- Honor all decisions of the SSC, even if these decisions differ from one's personal opinions.
Each LAUSD school has several school community meetings, often in the form of the School Site Council (SSC) and the English Language Advisory Committee (ELAC), to develop the site plan for the school year.
These are the steps in the school planning process, carried out in conjunction with stakeholders at the school:
- Collect and review new data about your school and students and reflect on how your school is meeting the needs of the students. Examples of data the council can review are:
- Academic assessments, such as the SBAC, ELPAC, interim math and ELA assessments and RFEP reclassification data
- Attendance, out-of-class referrals and suspension data
- Student and family surveys
How You Can Participate
- Participate in School Site Council, ELAC and school planning meetings.
- Together with your student, participate in the school’s student and parent surveys to make sure your voice is heard.
SSC Election and Orientation